Monday, December 16, 2013

Mattress Warranties: Are They Useful? Or a Scam?

A week and a half ago, I took the sheets and mattress pad cover off our bed to wash them.  Upon removal, I discovered three small holes, where it was evident that springs had come through.  One of the holes went all the way through to the underside.

When we bought the mattress, I was really happy to have been able to purchase a product from a Canadian manufacturer.  At that point in our marriage, it was probably the third most expensive item we had purchased.  Only our car and couch had cost more. It wasn't a purchase we took lightly.

 I had a vague recollection of our mattress having a 10 year warranty, so I looked through my filing cabinet to find the information.  Yes, we did.  A 10 year warranty on manufacturer defects, and we were still within that time frame at 9 1/2 years in.  The warranty stated that they would repair or replace.

I contacted the store where we purchased the mattress from, and they were great to deal with.  They provided me with the warranty claim forms, as well as an email address for the representative of the mattress company that they deal with.

I had everything that the warranty said I needed.  These included:

Original receipt of purchase.
Correct frame type for bed.
Manufacturing labels still attached to mattress.

Proper rotation of mattress through period owned.
I had purchased both mattress and boxspring together. If the mattress was purchased on its own, the warranty timeline is cut in half.
No stains.

I filled out the claim form, attached digital pictures of the damage and sent it along to the email address I was given.

Within a couple days, I had a phone call from the representative.  Yes, the pictures showed that a coil had probably come loose, and yes, they would pay for it to be repaired.

But only if *I* paid for shipping of the mattress to their manufacturing centre near the Toronto airport.

WHAT?  Yes, it is in the small print of the warranty that the customer must pay for the shipping, no matter where they live. Ridiculous.

So really, if the customer has to pay for the shipping on a mega sized item like a mattress, what use is the warranty in the first place.

As much as I would like to support Canadian manufacturing companies, when it's time to purchase a new mattress set, I unfortunately won't be purchasing from this Canadian company.  I'm not sure if I should just consider a mattress/boxspring purchase to basically not have a valid warranty due to this experience, or if I should research the warranty info on other manufacturers.

Have any of my readers had any experience, good or bad, with mattress warranties?

Edited to add that I am contributing this post to: *Part of Financially Savvy Saturdays on Femme Frugality and Eve of Reduction


2 comments:

  1. Oh, geez! That's really horrible that they pull that on their customers. The shipping would still be cheaper than a new mattress, right? I'm going to have to be on the lookout for this. We're in the mattress market...such a huge purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is some bullsh*t. Maybe try calling them out on social media and see what happens. It might not work cause it's written in the fine print, but it's a pretty terrible policy.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! Feel free to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...